Friday, December 10, 2010

Final Blog Over Class Material

My time spent taking the course Creative Writing was an interesting one. The course caught me off guard from the very beginning. When I signed up for the class I thought is was course to help you to develop your essay writing skills. I soon found out that I signed up for the wrong class. This was not a bad thing. The class was able to help me to open the creative part of my writing. I did not even know you were able to write this way in school. Just as it had stated in the reading from Thursday, The Right To Writ, I had been lead to believe that my writing had to be dressed up in a military uniform. The course helped me to see that I can use all different types of writing and still be able to get the facts out.

While I did not like reading all of the material, such as the reading packets, they were still very helpful for the course. The books were the best reading material used. The book that helped me the most was the Goldberg book. It helped me to look at all parts of my writing to show my what I was doing wrong and what I could improve on. The chapters that helped me the most were the chapters in the beginning about Original Detail, and the Power of Detail. The first chapter broke down how important using detail was and how to use it. The second chapter put all the suggestions from Original Detail and show me how they could be used to write a small story. Using detail greatly helped many of my writing assignments.

The best part of class was being able to work in groups. Not very many college classes let you work in groups. It was always nice to hear other peoples opinions over the reading material. The only thing I did not like about the class was having to speak in front of the class over the material. Even though I had read the material and had about it, it was hard to speak. I am a very shy person and am to willing to share my opinion with the whole class staring at me. Getting points for talking in class is easy for a person who already talks to much or loves to talk. But I person who rarely ever talks would suffer in this area. I much more liked when we were assigned to write our opinions on a sheet of paper and turn them in. The overall class was very fun and I would love to take another course in this subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment