Monday, December 13, 2010

Blog from 11-4: Outside Reading Response over Radio Lab

From what I understand from the radio lab the brain plays a major role in the placebo effect. Thist is because the brain is tricked into believing that it is receiving a some kind treatment for one thing when the brain is the one actually producing the treatment. An example of this was the experiment Daniel Moerman performed with the feathers in his mouth. Moreman performed this spiritual dance, that has not type of effect at all, on his patients and they get better. His patients did not know that the dace did nothing but their brains believed it so they got better. Another example of the brains role in the placebo effect is Dr. Beneditti's experiment with Parkinson disease. Sometimes the only way to stop this is with a surgery that implants A stimulator deep into the brain. In one experiment Dr. Beneditti pretended to turn the stimulator on and even though it was not really turned on their was still an improvement in his patient. The same type of improvement that would come from if he really turned it on.

The placebo effect is very interesting subject. It has had a few effects on my life. One time that I can remember that the placebo effect helping me was during my high school weight training days. My workout partner always lifted the weight first. My partner was stranger than me but if he said the weight he just lifted was going to be easy for my to lift then it would make it a lot easier for me. A time that the power of suggestion has worked against me is during some of my test. My friend will tell me that I'm going to do good and I always do bad. When I think I am going to do bad on a test I normally do good.

My favorite part of the program was all the extra sound effects that were added. They kept me even more interested in the subject. Anther thing I liked about the program was the Breakdown of the lab coats. I like this part because I go to the doctors a lot and I always feel better when I see someone in I white coat because I know I will fell better once they help me. One part of the program I would have liked to know more about is the how the hypnosis that healed the incurable disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment