Saturday, October 23, 2010

To After That

I rally enjoyed reading Gladman's book. I did not understand what direction the book was headed in at first so I had to read the first couple pages a second time. I came to realize that she was talking about her book writing process. The fact that she can publish a book about writing a different book is mind blowing.
I was really able to connect with this book because she wrote about how she struggled to write. I connected with this because I deal with the same problems. One such problem she had was reaching her page number quota. In high school I remember adjusting the margins to make the page smaller so the stuff that I had wrote would look bigger. Gladman said she would feel cheap if she did this so she instead made the margins on the page bigger. This really inspired me to really do my best on all my future writings.
There was one technique she used that I did not know of. She talked about writing in the white-space. When I first read this I was confused. I read it two more times and still was confused. These few lines finally became clear to me when we discussed them in class. I know realize that she was talking about changing the font to create larger and smaller white spaces around her txt, which give the readers a different feel for the book when they read it.

1 comment: