Thursday, October 21, 2010

I was not very excited to go to this reading because I had to be at practice at 7:30 and I know there was more important homework that I could be doing. Even though I did not want to go, I knew the LBC event was going to teach me something new just as the rest of the LBC events I had been to. I did not know what to expect once I got into the small theater room but I thought I was ready for whatever type of story the reader was ready to throw at me. I was sadly mistaken.
The reading started off with a woman reading off one BoK's poems. I realized at the end of the reading that she was not nearly as good as him. When BoK finally started his reading I was completely blown away and confused. I thought am I in the right place because I could not understand his poem. My classmate and me could not all have went to the wrong place together. Then I thought, what has Ms. Darling gotten us into.
The First poem was a German poem. I could not understand any of the words but I still tried my hardest to match at least one word to English. BoK was very strong and inspiring with his German accent. He really put his heart and soul into each word he spoke. Since I could not understand the words he was saying, the only thing I really picked up on was how the sounded and were put together. During the reading of these poems I felt as if I was being mesmerized by the sound of his voice. I did not want him to stop at one point. The sound of his voice while he was doing one of the German poems was so soothing that it had put me into the calmest mood that I had been in all week. 
BoK also read some of his poems in English. The first couple that he read really stood out to the audience. These poems had a lot to do with sex. The poems seemed to show what goes on with college students every day and the types of dirty material that college students interact with every day. These poems dealt with alcohol use, the dirty minds of young men, rap video sex, and the current youth mind state.
My favorite poem was American DaDa. This poem was interesting because he replaced every noun with  another word that was located seven spaces from it in the dictionary. This technique made for a very interesting poem. The poem was very crazy and all over the place, also very funny. 
I really liked the overall experience of going to the reading. I really enjoyed hearing poems from another language. It was a new experience that I would not mind trying again.

1 comment:

  1. did you turn this in on paper? Print and give it to me when you can.

    ReplyDelete